Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics in Caraga State University offers two (2) programs. One of which is the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. The program has the following well-defined objectives that are relevant to the development and implementation of its curriculum and instruction. Program objectives hone the students in terms of:
- Formulating mathematical models based on real-life situations;
- Analysing a mathematical statement and construct its proof/solution;
- Constructing or investigating a conjecture and/or provide a proof;
- Analysing data using appropriate mathematical and statistical techniques, and presenting results logically and orderly;
- Effectively employing technology using computer programs and algorithms to obtain approximate solutions to mathematical problems;
- Aligning the acquired mathematical knowledge to economic and social issues, challenges, and applications;
- Making the best use of their creative potentials and become self-reliant; and
- Recognizing the need to take measures in promoting cultural diversity.
The enumerated program objectives when attained shall produce a graduate of the BS Math Program with a blueprint that is mathematically and scientifically imbued. A human capital that is responsive to the needs of the region and beyond.
The present BS Math program adheres to CHED Memorandum Order No 48, Series of 2017 which is the PSG for the BS Math and BS Applied Math Programs. The curriculum exceeds the CHED Minimum requirements.
Important Milestones of the Program
- In 2001, offering of BS Math was approved through BOT Res. No. 38-06, s.2001
- In 2005, BOT Res. No. 61-04, s.2005 was passed approving in principle the proposed revision of programs and unification and renumbering of courses
- In 2009, BS Mathematics program of the university was granted Center of Development (COD) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
- In 2010, the program was again revised in accordance to the provision of Republic Act No. 7722, known as the “Higher Education Act of 1994”
- In 2016, the university was granted Center of Development in Mathematics by CHED
- In 2018, the program was given Level III Accreditation Status by AACCUP
Carreer Opportunities for BS Math Graduates
What can you do with a BS Math Degree?
Graduates with well-grasped mathematical skills are in demand in all kinds of industries all around the country, and even abroad. Since studying math helps one to develop skills in logical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making, graduates of the program will have access, but not limited, to the following job opportunities:
- Careers in academia and research
- Careers in accountancy and finance
- Careers in banking
- Actuarial careers
- Statistician careers
Employability of the Graduates
Reports of the 2016 Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Graduates Tracer Study showed that the implementation of the BS Mathematics program remained responsive and relevant to the demand of the present times. Here are some highlights of the study:
- 92% of the BS Mathematics graduates are currently employed, in which 58.33% of their jobs are related to the program they’ve finished
- 79.17% of these employed graduates waited three (3) months before getting their first job after graduation and 20.83% of them took more than three (3) months to get their first job
- 66.67% of the BS Math graduates consider the program to be very competitive in the job market.